Thursday, March 2, 2017

Lenten Reflections: Beginning

I pull up to the window to pick up the hubby's dinner and she greets me with a smile. Just your everyday meeting with the one who takes my money and hands me change. Except she keeps staring at me like she knows something I don't. I wonder if I know her... does she know me? She asks if I want ketchup and then says, "Its that time of year again isn't it?"

She smiles at my questioning expression as I think, "What in the world!"

"I should have gone to church today. I knew it was getting close."

It's only been ten minutes since I left the sanctuary with black ashes in the shape of a cross on my head. How in the world does one forget in the span of a few blocks? I'm like the person looking in the mirror and forgetting what I look like as soon as I walk away. (James 1:23) I've considered what God is calling me to do during this season. I've heard the conversations of others today about how they will be observing the season of Lent. My ears just heard the sermon preached and watched as black crosses were drawn with the whisper of words... ashes to ashes, dust to dust.


Odd isn't it? How a black ash cross connected this girl gone to church to the one wishing she had. And maybe that's the whole point. Jesus made a way for us to get connected... connected to God and to others. 

I'll not give up anything during this Lenten season except time. Time to connect with the One I have chosen to follow... time to connect with others along the way. 

Jesus said, “The first in importance is, ‘Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one; so love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy.’ And here is the second: ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ There is no other commandment that ranks with these.”-Mark 12:30-31 The Message

0 comments:

Post a Comment