Friday, December 16, 2016

Let's dance...

Driving two teenage boys to school is mostly a quiet adventure. I ask a few questions and they grunt yes or no. Two miles down the road I usually give up and turn on the music. But not this morning. We talk hunting and hibernating...migration and tall fences. There is an anticipation in the air. The winter break is coming and today at school, while adults are working, they'll be dancing. Yes, the school has planned a dance to send them off. Can you see it? Junior high guys and girls giddy with the thought of dancing...anxious about who might be willing. I listen quietly as they talk.

You gonna ask her to dance? She'll dance with you, she's one of your best friends.

Nah, she's funny about that kind of stuff.

She's hot!

Hold up? Did he just say she's hot? I know, I know. Teenage boys look on the surface of everything. I get the natural tendency. I understand puberty because I lived it. But...I just couldn't help myself. This is where I entered the conversation. Poor boys! 

I shared with the two my devotional reading for the morning. How Samuel was sent to anoint the new king. When he saw the oldest son of Jesse, He thought...That's the one. Only God had another plan in mind as He whispers into Samuel's ear.
“Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”--1 Samuel 16:7
You can imagine the rest of our "talk". Me gently reminding them when we are led with our eyes, we can be misled. I challenged them to look further, deeper...to take a look at the inside. The boys jump out of the car and as I return home, joy seeps in slow and fills my heart. In the talking with teen boys this mother received the message loud and clear.

Lights twinkle on trees and gifts sit unopened waiting. Still I'm not ready! Because the drier died a few days ago. It lays in parts on the laundry room floor.


Clothes hang everywhere and remnants of wrapping paper clutter the table.


By the looks of things, I'm not ready. Except...maybe I am.

Advent is the slow seeping joy that opens eyes to the deeper meaning of Christmas. It's the anticipation of a teen waiting for someone to ask them to dance. Only it's not just anyone. It's The One. Can you imagine it? The Savior of the world walking slow across the gym floor, extending His hand and whispering, "Can I have this dance?" Do you feel the racing of your heart? the blood rushing fast to your cheeks? 


This is the moment we're all waiting for. This is Christmas! So let's dance. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment